Modelling a Table and Chair

Since we are making the pirate cabin based on the Buccaneer Pirates we looked at items from the 17th Century.  I was assigned to do the captains table so I looked at 17th century furniture. I noticed that the legs or tables and chairs of that time have rail moulding, which seemed to be the style back then.

table-ref

Image Link  [Accessed 21st Oct.2016]

I used this tutorial to help making the legs. Using the vertices to shape the legs and get that rail moulding style. To create that moulded look that seemed to be the style back in the 17th century, I selected the vertices and scaled in or out to get the shape that I wanted. Similar to this tutorial video.

When creating the top of the table I kept is simple, with just a few extrusions on the bottom of the table for leg room. To get the rail moulding effect I started with a cube with several edges horizontal in the position for each mould. I used the vertices and scaled them in our out to get the look that I wanted. I then bevelled certain edges to gave it more shape. I had only bevelled a shape a couple of times before and had bevelled the whole shape. I discovered that this is wrong and that you should only select bevel on the edges you need it for, other which you will get unwanted double edges on every edge. I then had fun with the curve and wave deformer and created some decorations on the front. The chair would be matching to the table, so I used the same legs and scaled them to the appropriate size.

table

UV Mapping

Ensuring that I deleted the history and freeze transformations I then went to UV and selected Automatic. I would try this first to see if it works, if not I would try the other options. In this case the top of the table worked with automatic. All I had to do was stitch them UVs together, as shown below:

5

The chair was a little more trickier as it was not a basic shape, but had soft select. the front of the chair textures are straight although the back is slightly slanted. This should not matter as you will never see the back, but if I have time I will try and straighten out the UV on the back of the chair (shown below). The rest of the chair was straight forward.

7

6

The legs were slightly different. Using the Planar I had all four sides. When stitching them I discovered they stretched and distorted because of the different angles of the edges. Alec showed me a way to stitch together the sides by straightening them out first (although it was not perfect). Another way that he suggested was keeping the legs close together that are connected and stitch only the top and bottom as they have straight edges. It seemed to work fine since the table leg has edges on each side so seeing a seam would not matter.

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s