Blocking out and Proportions

I wanted to start my character from scratch instead of using the woman model already in Zbrush.  Below is an intro to a tutorial created by Matt Thorup. I have the bundle and it has been ALOT of help when doing this. This first steps of creating the character he did a block out.

 

He had already made meshes to block out his character and I had to improvise with using my own shapes.  This part is down very roughly so I wasn’t too worried about proportions at this stage.

block

After I got the block out roughly done I looked at different google images for women body references to ensure I get the proportions correct. This is definitely not something I have great knowledge about and I relied heavily on the references.

reference
Image link
Advertisements

Personal Project Reference

For this personal project I wanted to try my hand on sculpting a person with clothes etc. This is a big jump from my little elephant but I wanted to challenge myself and learn as much as I can. So as I have been hooked recently on the Black Sails TV show I wanted to do something Pirate related. I looked at a bunch of concepts but one kept catching my eye. She is very seductive and her lose clothes and blowing in the wind hair might be a challenge, but that’s what I want.

Artist Francisco, check out his Deviant art page

http://franciscoetchart.deviantart.com/gallery/

pirate_girl_commission_by_franciscoetchart-dr0elt (1)

Test render and Grace Turn table

Joel had requested a turntable of only Grace to show a company broadcaster where he is going with this project idea. So we did the first turntable of Grace. During doing this we noticed a few issues with the her top. The UV map wasn’t great because of the topology and the lined pattern was messing up. But since we had a time limit on when he wanted it we had to send it as it was.

back1side1front1side2

 

We also did a render test of the concept image. This still had to issues we need to fix but we sent him it anyway to let him see how it was going.

Test Render Full scene.jpg

FEEDBACK – Joel really liked the turntable of Grace and he only had a few notes. He thought that she looked abit older than 8 years old and asked if it was possible to truncate her body abit. At this point we couldn’t do any major changes but we are going to try and scale her body and see if they will give her the desired effect.

Update – Sheep

After the feedback from Alec about the animals not matching the style, I went back to the sheep. I didn’t do much to the body but I changed the shape of the head more rounded and made the eyes bigger. I also gave him eye brows similar to the other animals.

OLD SHEEP

lamb

NEW SHEEP

newsheep

Final Presentation

Today was our final presentation on the class on how our project has progressed just before the final touches. We showed the final Grace and Dillon models with turntables. Since the last presentation we have created background houses using the feedback and our pictures we took from the Folk Museum. We also did some background animal characters. Even though Joel did not asked for these, we had a little time to do some more characters. So we created Murphy the dog, sheep, rabbits and ducks. Feedback from the presentation Alec thought that the animals did not look like they all belonged to the same world. So we will be looking to make changes to them so they all have the same style.

Amazing Grace Final Presentation

Amazing Grace Final Presentation (1)Amazing Grace Final Presentation (2)Amazing Grace Final Presentation (3)Amazing Grace Final Presentation (4)Amazing Grace Final Presentation (5)Amazing Grace Final Presentation (6)

 

Grass Tests

Cliodhna had been working with paint effects for the grass and hedges. After the final presentation we noticed some issues with them. There was a lot of different seperate sections and it was like a crazy jig saw puzzle trying to fix floating grass etc.  I had a look at paint effects for myself and discovered that some of the problems she had could easily have been resolved. For example, converting them to polygons, to prevent it from shrinking in size when converted the polycount limit needed to be higher. Also she had issues with the Grass jumping to a different place (and then manually moving them). This was resolved by UV mapping the plane.

So instead of refixing everything it was quicker to start again. Here are some of the tests that I did for grass

grass3grasstest

 

Hedges

Experimenting with different brushes for best look that matches with the Flickerpix concept.

Screen Shot 2017-04-05 at 19.28.28Screen Shot 2017-04-05 at 19.50.49Screen Shot 2017-04-05 at 20.11.48Screen Shot 2017-04-05 at 20.54.05

 

Screen Shot 2017-04-07 at 15.46.25.png

Texturing Dillon

Taking the Snap shot of the UV map I used Photoshop to add in the colouring. Joel wanted to keep him the same colour as his original concept. most horses have a different colouring on the legs below the knew which I give Dillon, also a lighter colour on his nose. For Dillon’s hair I past him to Rebecca who did the same style as she did for Grace, using Zbrush.

dillon1dillon2

dillon3

output_xsFkcQ.gif