Sculpting The Pirate

The artist has given the pirate very pouting large lips, so I looked at some actors with a similar shape and worked from there. I used Angelina Jolie as a guide of Jaw shape and lip thickness. The concept actually has even bigger lips but when I tried to do something the same she just looked like she had cosmetic work done.

Capture

 

Clothing

To create clothes I used extractions. Masking the area I wanted the clothes to be I picked the thickness I wanted and accepted the extract. This created seperate subtools of shapes around the body, which I was then able to adjusting using the move tool. This method it how I created all of her clothes.

extract

clothes

The trousers where pretty straight forward but the top was a little bit more tricky. I had the option to do the loose clothing in Marvellous Designer but I wanted to give this a go on Zbrush first. I masked the arms and the V cut of the top and extracted that mesh. I then Masked the bottom of the sleeves where I want that to hang loosely from her arm. It was actually alot more straightforward than I thought.

clothes1

From there I added some shape and form like creases and folds. I also masked and extruded out the flaps of material that go on the front of the blouse like a collar. I pulled out the top around the breast area so that it looks more loose fitting.

top

The boots were done very similar. I masked around the feet and then used the move tool to pull out the heel and shape the boot.

shoe

 

Hair

So for the hair I looked at a tutorial on YouTube to help get me started

Similar to the tutorial I used mask and extract around head and used the move tool and Dynamesh to pull the mesh out and shape it the way I wanted. Once the basic shape was made I used the curve brush to make seperate strands of hair coming out, like in the concept where the wind it blowing. I then merged those seperate parts and smoothed it out so they look like they are part of the same mesh. After that I used damn standard, pinch and move to created the textured look.

hairhair1hair2hair3

Combining the head 

Up to this point I still had the head seperate incase I needed to make major adjustments. Merging the two did not get rid of that line so I had to use Dynamesh. I wasn’t fussy on the ear detail as I knew the hair would be covering it.

mergehead

Colour

Just to allow parts to stand out more I used the basic colour fill in Zbrush.

colour

colour1

Dress

I had planned to do this in Marvellous designer but I was on a roll so thought I would give it a go. I inserted a cylinder, masked and extracted it and deleted the cylinder. This left me with the initial shape of the dress. I used move, inflat and damn standard brush tool to shape the folds of the dress using the concept as guidelines. Once I was happy with it a did the same thing for the outer piece. This did not take as long as it does not have as much shape. I really liked the outcome.

dressdress1 - Copy

colour2

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s