I don’t know how many times I have changed the face. It’s one of those things that you could tweak forever. Some of the critique was that the eyes are too wide apart so I made them slightly closer. With the lips being so full on the concept it looked unnatural, like from a lip surgery. So I made them still full but a little more natural. As for the nose, the concept angle was hard to tell but it looks rather pointed and a little large. Again it didn’t look right when I tried to sculpt so with Alec’s advice, I made the nose more rounded at the tip and a little wider. Also the middle part between the nostrils needed to be more rounded outwards.
I added an Ambient Occlusion and rendered out a turntable. I plan on giving her material and colour.
The artist has given the pirate very pouting large lips, so I looked at some actors with a similar shape and worked from there. I used Angelina Jolie as a guide of Jaw shape and lip thickness. The concept actually has even bigger lips but when I tried to do something the same she just looked like she had cosmetic work done.
To create clothes I used extractions. Masking the area I wanted the clothes to be I picked the thickness I wanted and accepted the extract. This created seperate subtools of shapes around the body, which I was then able to adjusting using the move tool. This method it how I created all of her clothes.
The trousers where pretty straight forward but the top was a little bit more tricky. I had the option to do the loose clothing in Marvellous Designer but I wanted to give this a go on Zbrush first. I masked the arms and the V cut of the top and extracted that mesh. I then Masked the bottom of the sleeves where I want that to hang loosely from her arm. It was actually alot more straightforward than I thought.
From there I added some shape and form like creases and folds. I also masked and extruded out the flaps of material that go on the front of the blouse like a collar. I pulled out the top around the breast area so that it looks more loose fitting.
The boots were done very similar. I masked around the feet and then used the move tool to pull out the heel and shape the boot.
So for the hair I looked at a tutorial on YouTube to help get me started
Similar to the tutorial I used mask and extract around head and used the move tool and Dynamesh to pull the mesh out and shape it the way I wanted. Once the basic shape was made I used the curve brush to make seperate strands of hair coming out, like in the concept where the wind it blowing. I then merged those seperate parts and smoothed it out so they look like they are part of the same mesh. After that I used damn standard, pinch and move to created the textured look.
Combining the head
Up to this point I still had the head seperate incase I needed to make major adjustments. Merging the two did not get rid of that line so I had to use Dynamesh. I wasn’t fussy on the ear detail as I knew the hair would be covering it.
Just to allow parts to stand out more I used the basic colour fill in Zbrush.
I had planned to do this in Marvellous designer but I was on a roll so thought I would give it a go. I inserted a cylinder, masked and extracted it and deleted the cylinder. This left me with the initial shape of the dress. I used move, inflat and damn standard brush tool to shape the folds of the dress using the concept as guidelines. Once I was happy with it a did the same thing for the outer piece. This did not take as long as it does not have as much shape. I really liked the outcome.
I wanted to start my character from scratch instead of using the woman model already in Zbrush. Below is an intro to a tutorial created by Matt Thorup. I have the bundle and it has been ALOT of help when doing this. This first steps of creating the character he did a block out.
He had already made meshes to block out his character and I had to improvise with using my own shapes. This part is down very roughly so I wasn’t too worried about proportions at this stage.
After I got the block out roughly done I looked at different google images for women body references to ensure I get the proportions correct. This is definitely not something I have great knowledge about and I relied heavily on the references.
For this personal project I wanted to try my hand on sculpting a person with clothes etc. This is a big jump from my little elephant but I wanted to challenge myself and learn as much as I can. So as I have been hooked recently on the Black Sails TV show I wanted to do something Pirate related. I looked at a bunch of concepts but one kept catching my eye. She is very seductive and her lose clothes and blowing in the wind hair might be a challenge, but that’s what I want.
Artist Francisco, check out his Deviant art page